Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Proud to be an American...

While in Virginia we were able to take a few hours and walk around the capitol. I had not been since I was a child and, of course, this was the first time for the Princesses to visit. I know they won't understand the importance of these sites and neither did I at their age... however, I do remember visiting them as a child and wanted them to have that experience as well. At some point in their lifetime, I think everyone American should visit the capitol.

One of the most emotional sites we visited was the Vietnam War Memorial. It's not quite as tall as I had always pictured, but it is so powerful. The silence as we walked among the people was deafening. I'm not sure if it was like that because it was Memorial Day weekend or if it is always that way. I tried to explain to Princess TomGirl and Princess Belle the significance of this site and couldn't do it without tears streaming down. As I told them, we owe our servicemen and women a great deal for their willingness to sacrifice their lives. Even if we don't agree with the politics of a war, we ALWAYS support those who serve so that we can have the freedoms that we enjoy. While there, we also saw a few protest banners. While this elicits some rage within me, I am so glad that they have the freedom to express themselves as they do. Despite its imperfections (and what country doesn't have any?) - it is an honor and a privilege for me to call the United States of America my home and I am Proud to be an American!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful family!!!

Anonymous said...

I just read your comment!!! Girl you are TOO funny!!!